· Chat
· Web Links
· Guidelines
· Search
· FAQ
· Contact Me
· Old News Items
Member Poll
Would you like to see the CFA split up between staff and vols?

Yes
Yes
44% [31 Votes]

No
No
43% [30 Votes]

Unsure
Unsure
13% [9 Votes]

Votes: 70
You must login to vote.
Started: 01/02/2017 17:25

Polls Archive
Events
<< May 2017 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        
View Thread
cfastream Home » Communications » Scanners
 Print Thread
Local set up for new VFBV Scanners
Rivendaal
I wonder if anyone can help me with some clues as to what's going on with my set up of the new VFBV scanners. I'm a BASO and I've got lots of people coming in totally clueless about how to operate the scanners and asking for me to help set them up.

The problem is they are set up for the whole of the district, which is massive, and they really only want the local channels and dispatch repeater that's relevant to them. Which means each individual scanner needs to be set up with a unique favourites list. We have 22 repeaters and there's 35 VHF channel options on the scanner. And that doesn't include neighbouring districts which the groups on the edge of the district want to have. Most only need 1 or 2 repeaters for dispatch, and about 2-6 fireground and 2-6 command channels.

The problem I have, is when I have chosen the channels I want for a particular location (local repeater, local fireground channels, local command channels, and those of the immediate neighbours) the scanner doesn't seem to pick up the dispatch channel unless I HOLD on that channel.

Why is this happening and what do I need to do to get it working properly?

Com 35
PM sent.

Rivendaal
I've got no where so far making phone calls. VFBV say they can't help at all, and to contact the manufacturer. That's no help at all. CFA Comms say (rightly) that they've never even laid hands on one and have no idea.

But surely someone in CFA produced the help sheet that came with them as it has the CFA logo on it. VFBV lady couldn't answer that. I want to speak to that person.

I just want to know how to get it to pick up 517 while on scan, as for now it only picks it up when I have that channel on Hold.

peterba
If you connect to your computer, you can modify the channels scanned. I've done it to mine to avoid one of the districts more verbose members. Not hard.
The behaviour you walk past is the behaviour you'll accept.

chucky
If you can adjust the squelch up a little, it will help a lot.

Common issue with digital scanners, they find the "control channel", then read the data to see what talkgroup may be speaking. If it finds nothing, it goes to the next channel in the scan group and checks again - if the signal is low, it won't decode properly and move on etc.

The challenge is, that each talkgroup activation (the brief period when you hit the PTT, talk and let go) the scanners can miss this. This is a standard "issue" with any scanner, but added to because of the decoding delays on the digital side.

My suggestion is to lock out all of the Conventional Channels & Fireground channels and only use them when you want to listen to a job on those frequencies. Pick the strongest site nearest to you and "hold" on that site. If you are moving around, scan for a bit, pick the best site and scan again when needed.

I am somewhat disappointed that Uniden still haven't created a setup in their scanners similar to the old AOR scanners (another brand), which basically finds the strongest site/repeater, and then votes around to find the next best when it drops down a threshold level.

melbourneradio
send me an email ., sales@secomms.com.au i will assist you with a solution
John
South Eastern Communications
**Paging**Radios**Scanners**Programming
www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au

www.secomms.com.au  https://www.facebook.com/southeastcomms/
Rivendaal
Well I got one to work fine today, but not at all sure what I did, as I did nothing different to any of the others, apart from making sure I saved a separate profile for it before uploading the data to the computer, so any previous ones that I'd made a mistake with wouldn't affect it. I'm about to go back to the one I've had trouble with and see if I can get it right this time. Trouble is, it's a quiet day and there's virtually no VicFire chatter for to me test it on.

Peterb - I've been using the sentinal software. Setting up the channels is not my question - I've got that under control and can do it either with the software or just on the scanner. The problem is with 517 not being picked up while the scanner is set to scan. It works fine when on hold.

I spoke to David at Pacific Telecommunications and he couldn't really answer my question either, but he gave me some good info that might lead me down the right path. I'll keep playing. He gave me some good tips on how to check for signal strength, how many repeaters to select, and what setting to use for squelch. He also said they'll be uploading some help videos soon.

I had a volunteer come in today and I was able to set up his scanner to suit his local needs and explain to him how to do it. This was the one that worked fine.

peterba
Rivendal, I just realised who you are. There is nothing I can tell you that would help. I just limiter the size of the scan list.

Rivendaal
chucky wrote:

If you can adjust the squelch up a little, it will help a lot.

Common issue with digital scanners, they find the "control channel", then read the data to see what talkgroup may be speaking. If it finds nothing, it goes to the next channel in the scan group and checks again - if the signal is low, it won't decode properly and move on etc.

The challenge is, that each talkgroup activation (the brief period when you hit the PTT, talk and let go) the scanners can miss this. This is a standard "issue" with any scanner, but added to because of the decoding delays on the digital side.

My suggestion is to lock out all of the Conventional Channels & Fireground channels and only use them when you want to listen to a job on those frequencies. Pick the strongest site nearest to you and "hold" on that site. If you are moving around, scan for a bit, pick the best site and scan again when needed.

I am somewhat disappointed that Uniden still haven't created a setup in their scanners similar to the old AOR scanners (another brand), which basically finds the strongest site/repeater, and then votes around to find the next best when it drops down a threshold level.

Thanks Chucky. The thing is I'm programming multiple scanners from various locations, each requires a different set of repeaters, fireground channels and command channels. There's no one set up for everyone and I need to be able to get each one to the 'set and forget' stage. The people who can turn channels on and off aren't the ones coming to me asking for help. I'm a BASO who can have a go at anything, but I'm certainly no radio/scanner geek! I can easily do the set up, but a technical problem stumps me.

Some of the scanners I've been handed to me are set to District 2, because that's the example in the help sheet sent out with them. Shock Yes really.

Rivendaal
Ok, so I never really found out what the problem was, but with a reset and starting again from scratch the problem seems to have resolved itself. I had another similar problem that was also resolved by a reset and starting again. The Pacific Telecommunications guy has been really helpful but his solution was the reset and start again. It works anyway. I've now programmed multiple scanners (all for different locations) and no one's come back to me yet so I must be doing something right. I even did up a little help sheet that I've been handing out and that seems to helping people.

peterba
1. You can set the radio by dialling the district number and enter. It's that easy.
2. If you make changes to the channels, i.e.. removing channels etc., you can save the changes using a computer and the supplied software. From then you can import those settings into every other radio you want to set up.

xtl-kindaguy
Don't Know if anyone could assist, When I create a p25 trunking system on mc laptop and write it to scanner, the favorite list "MMR NETWORK" comes up on favorites list on scanner but i can't select it to listen or monitor and quick key doesn't get it either. Any help would be greatly appriceated

Highlight
Afternoon all,

Would anyone have the RMR channel plan (spacings etc).

Attempting to setup a scanner and require it.

Thanks in advance.

Highlight.

Com 35
Highlight wrote:

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance.

Highlight.

Available as pdf files from "Brigades On Line" if you are a CFA Member.

Or, available on the Vic Radio Zone website if you are not.

Glenn.

Highlight
Com 35 wrote:

Highlight wrote:

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance.

Highlight.

Glenn.

Hi Glenn.

Thank you for the reply.

I've got the control channel data. Just the radio I'm using to scan the network requires the mhz channel spacing.

chucky
Highlight wrote:

Com 35 wrote:

Highlight wrote:

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance.

Highlight.

Glenn.

Hi Glenn.

Thank you for the reply.

I've got the control channel data. Just the radio I'm using to scan the network requires the mhz channel spacing.

12.5kHz

That said, your scanner is probably in the wrong mode. There shouldn't be a need for channel spacing when configuring P25, as the frequency is sent as a value in the control data... rather than the offset from the first channel. Are you sure you haven't got your scanner in MPT1327 mode? As channel spacing and channel number is very much a non-P25 radio standard.

Jump to Forum:
Latest Active Forum Threads
  Thread Views Replies Last Post
FS: Disc tapped scanner - $ reduced to $70
Want to Sell
24807 5 ambo000
October 01 2016 02:56:04
CFA new scanner
Scanners
3086 2 melbourneradio
September 06 2016 20:45:19
Local set up for new VFBV Scanners